What is Waste to Energy?
The term ‘waste to energy’ means exactly that – transforming waste into a particular form of energy, most commonly electricity or heat. It is an eco-friendly and sustainable way to create energy from debris and rubbish that would normally continue to negatively affect the environment.
What waste can be used?
Lots of different types of waste can be used, including :
- Food waste
- Plant waste
- Animal waste
- General waste
The different types of waste used respond differently to the varying conversion methods.
How does waste to energy work?
There are two major ways that waste is converted to energy :
- The burning of particular sorts of waste to create heat
- The use of anaerobic digestion to breakdown waste and transform it into biogas
The type of waste does have a bearing on the most appropriate way to convert it to energy, as some waste doesn’t burn as well as others.
What are the benefits of waste to energy?
Waste to energy is a great environmentally-friendly option and have so many benefits, including :
- Reduced carbon emissions
- Less use of fossil fuels
- Reduction of waste in landfills
- Contributes to renewable energy targets
- The need for supplementary is reduced, as waste to energy can be used side by side with solar and wind energy
If your business generates organic waste and you’d like to know more about using this for a waste to energy power plant, give us a call on 1300 113 782 or complete our online waste to energy enquiry form today.
For more information, visit our waste to energy page.