Skip to content

What are the Benefits of Cogeneration?

What are the benefits of cogeneration?

Cogeneration is becoming more and more popular, with a range of industries showing positive results when implementing cogeneration into their energy production schedules.

So, learn a little more about the benefits of cogeneration below and give Inoplex a call on 1300 113 782 for assistance.

What is cogeneration?

Cogeneration, otherwise known as CHP for ‘Combined Heat & Power’, is where electricity is generated using a specially designed generator. This process allows for the capture of the heat produced through the generation of electricity and then using it as well. 

How does cogeneration work?

Although cogeneration may seem a little tricky, the premise behind how a cogeneration plant works isn’t as complicated as you may believe. 

To start with, biogas, gas or diesel are used as fuel for a CHP engine. Whatever fuel is being used is burnt in the engine in order to produce power, and an exhaust gas heater exchange grabs the heat from the engine. After this, cogeneration steps in. It captures heat from the exhaust gas heater and the engine, resulting in the production of high efficiency heat. A heat exchanger then processes the heated water, releasing the applicable heat product to a secondary circuit. The secondary circuit is what is used to heat items, such as taps or air-conditioning, or other heat requirements. Then the power created by this method is produced by the alternator, which turns engine power into electrical power. The result is both heat and electricity that can be used for a large array of purposes, all whilst offering an eco-friendly method.

What are the benefits of cogeneration?

There are so many different benefits when it comes to cogeneration – here are just a few:

  • Efficiency: The main advantage of cogeneration is efficiency, which results in energy savings. Conventional electricity generation only converts around 40% of the energy put into the power plant (fuel consumption) into electricity. The remaining 60% is wasted as heat. A cogeneration power plant captures this wasted heat and utilises it for something useful; maximising energy usage.
  • Two forms of energy: The creation of two forms of energy – electricity and heat. A standard generator will only create one form of energy – electricity.
  • Stability: Cogeneration offers consistent stable electricity, which is something that is crucial to the running of an efficient business.
  • Running costs: Overall, your running costs are reduced with cogeneration.
  • Wastage: Cogeneration reduces the amount of energy wastage that occurs from other traditional arrangements, especially heat energy.
  • Thermal energy: Cogeneration generates therm energy.
  • Heating costs: Cogeneration lowers heating costs.
  • Backup power: Cogeneration is also a great backup power supply!
  • Environment: Reduced carbon footprint and more eco-friendly

The environmental benefits of cogeneration alone are large, which is enough for many to consider making the switch. So, if combined heat and power generation technology is something you would like to integrate into your business, or you have further questions regarding the how cogeneration can assist you and your business, give us a call on 0448 307 282 or complete our online cogeneration enquiry form today.