Cogeneration for Food Processing
Using biogas energy production in the food processing industry
Reducing energy costs is a priority for many in the pig production industry with skyrocketing electricity, gas, and fuel prices ever on the increase. Biogas power generation presents a practical cost-effective alternative to mains electricity, while significantly reducing your farm’s greenhouse gas eThe use of cogeneration is a multi-faceted one, with a variety of industries being able to utilise its immense potential… and the food processing industry is a big one on that list. Food processors have huge energy requirements, as well as producing large amounts of waste, which makes them the perfect candidate for Waste to Energy (‘WtE’) systems. Biogas is created from the organic waste and, when used in power generation, offers a cost-effective alternative to mains electricity while reducing your greenhouse gas emissions by up to 80% in a practical and eco-friendly manner.
Want to lower the energy bills in your business?
Inoplex are the experts at getting the most out of your energy requirements. Whether you need electricity, heating or even cooling, we can help develop a solution for you.
Waste to Energy options for food processors
Food processing plants use a lot of electricity to power, and they produce a large amount of organic waste. These two points can be dealt with together, with the use of a combined heat and power (chp) cogeneration system run on biogas. Through the use of waste created as a byproduct of food processing as fuel, both power and heat are generated for use across many areas of a plant.
Even smaller companies where a WtE project isn’t a viable option can benefit from a cogeneration power plant, which provides heat and power in a more cost-effective manner than mains power. It also provides power factor correction and phase balancing, as well as a reliable backup power supply when needed.
What are the benefits of CHP cogeneration in food processing?
The advantages of CHP systems in the food processing industry are extensive, including :
- Operating costs : A reduction in operating costs, due to the reduction in expensive electricity bills
- Source of income : Excess power can be sold back to the mains electricity grid, which provides an additional source of income
- Energy stability : More stability in energy output, as there is less of a reliance on the electricity grid (which can become excessively congested at times)
- Payback period : Using biogas for combined heat and power reduces the payback period of the system set up significantly
- Utility savings : Important utility savings and can provide a hedge against unstable energy costs
- Environmental benefits : Better for the environment through reduction of greenhouse gas emissions
- 24/7 stable energy supply : If a plant works 24/7, it requires around the clock stability in its electricity supply which is something that CHP cogeneration offers more readily than electricity from the grid (which is prone to blackouts)
- Carbon credits : It is still possible to claim carbon credits through the Emissions Reduction Fund scheme, which offers a range of benefits in itself
Why choose an Inoplex Cogeneration system?
There are a few different cogenerators on the market, however an Inoplex Cogenerator offers a range of benefits that can not be matched including :
- Reduction in repair times : You don’t have to wait for extended periods of time to have your equipment serviced by a company specialist – a lot of the Inoplex systems can be serviced by your local mechanic
- Supporting local business : They are powered by motors which can be serviced and repaired locally, meaning you can support local business for ongoing servicing requirements
- Fuel : They can be powered by a range of fuels, including biogas, LPG, natural gas, or petrol
- Replacement parts : Replacement parts for a Inoplex Cogeneration system are able to be easily and inexpensively sourced, as plants utilise motors and parts which are often readily available in rural areas
- Source of power : You can maintain a clean, consistent source of power all year round
- Lower biogas levels : They can work effectively on lower levels of biogas than most other generators, allowing for better and more consistent operation no matter the fuel level
What really sets apart the Inoplex Cogeneration system from others on the market is its ability to allow a user to vary heat and power levels independently, providing more flexibility during differing workloads. Other cogenerators produce corresponding amounts of heat and power at any one time, which provides little to no room to change levels when needed and is impractical considering a normal food processing environment.
Is cogeneration an option for your food processing plant?
Are you are thinking that cogeneration may be a solution for your food processing plant? Give our friendly and experienced team a call on 0448 307 282 or complete our online enquiry form today. We can answer all your questions when it comes to the CHP system that is going to best suit your circumstances, as well as assisting every step of the way to ensure your system is working best for you.