Cogeneration for Wastewater Plants
Utilising waste to energy solutions in wastewater plants
Cogeneration is becoming more and more popular as interest in eco-friendly energy options exponentially increases. From piggeries to dairy farms, landfills to food processing the use of CHP systems is providing cost effective and beneficial options over and over again, and wastewater plants are no different. The use of waste to energy (WtE) systems for sewage plants is a practical and environmentally-conscious option, due to their high energy needs and, therefore, high energy costs… and the biogas generated from wastewater plants is the perfect fuel for the cogeneration process!
It is worth noting that even if you are a smaller company where a WtE project isn’t the best option for you and your business, you can still benefit from a cogeneration power plant. It provides both heat and power in a more economical way than mains power. It also provides phase balancing and power factor correction, as well as being a reliable backup power supply!
Want to lower the energy bills in your business?
Inoplex are the experts at getting the most out of your energy requirements. Whether you need electricity, heating or even cooling, we can help develop a solution for you.
Biogas energy production for sewage plants
When you think about it, wastewater plants produce a huge amount of ‘energy’ that just has to be captured and utilised. The use of biogas as an energy source isn’t a new concept, however it is becoming more popular as its incredible beneficial properties become more well known. And you can’t stop a wastewater plant from emitting the gases that it does, and there is a lot of it, so why not use it to power the plant!? Cogeneration does just that, and so much more.
Wastewater carbon credits
If you are already obtaining carbon credits under the Emissions Reduction Fund wastewater scheme, you could be also be creating energy in addition to accumulating credits through cogeneration. Between the supplementary income that carbon credits offer and the energy-bill savings that cogeneration offers, it sounds like the perfect match.
Why choose a CHP cogeneration system for your wastewater plant?
There are so many benefits of a CHP system that very few lists can do it justice, however the advantages of cogeneration for wastewater plants include :
- Lower operational costs : energy-intensive processes are fuelled by low-cost energy options
- Environmental benefits : Cogeneration offers a reduction of greenhouse gas emissions
- Energy stability : More stability in energy output, as there is less of a reliance on the electricity grid (which can become congested)
- Additional source of income : Excess power can be sold back to the mains electricity grid, which provides another income source
- Payback period : Using biogas for combined heat and power reduces the payback period of the system set up significantly
- Carbon credits : It is still possible to claim carbon credits through the Emissions Reduction Fund scheme, which offers a range of benefits in itself
- Utility savings : Important utility savings and can provide a hedge against unstable energy costs
- 24/7 stable energy supply : If a plant works around the clock, it requires 24/7 stability in its electricity supply which is something that CHP cogeneration offers more readily than electricity from the grid (which is prone to blackouts)
What are the benefits of Inoplex Cogeneration?
We understand that there are a few different CHP cogenerators on the market currently, so what makes Inoplex cogeneration better than the rest? There are a range of benefits offered by Inoplex that sets us apart, including :
- Fuel : A variety of fuels can be used to power our cogenerators, including biogas, LPG, natural gas, or petrol
- Source of power : You can maintain a clean, consistent source of power all year round using Inoplex cogenerators
- Reduction in repair times : You don’t have to wait for extended periods of time to have your equipment serviced by a company specialist – a lot of the Inoplex systems can be serviced by your local mechanic
- Replacement parts : Replacement parts for a Inoplex Cogeneration system are able to be easily and inexpensively sourced, as plants utilise motors and parts which are often readily available in most areas, including rurally
- Lower biogas levels : Our cogenerators can work effectively on lower levels of biogas than most other generators, allowing for better and more consistent operation irrelevant of the fuel level
- Supporting local business : Inoplex cogenerators are powered by motors which can be serviced and repaired locally, meaning you can support local business for ongoing servicing requirements
What really makes the Inoplex Cogeneration system different from others on the market is its ability to allow you to alter both heat and power levels independently, providing added flexibility during differing workloads. Other cogenerators produce corresponding amounts of heat and power at any one time, which provides little to no room to change levels when needed. Given the type of varying environment that a sewage plant is, this isn’t practical and some room for adjustment is a necessity.
Your cogeneration experts when it comes to wastewater plants
Thinking that use of cogeneration may be the way forward for your wastewater plant, or working in another industry and wondering how CHP could work for you and your business? Give Inoplex a call on 1300 113 782 or complete an enquiry form today. We can answer any questions you may have and figure out how cogeneration can work for you!